Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Taking the Time

Wow!  It has been a long time since I posted.  But thanks to a very encouraging friend, I am attempting to post a little more.

These hands have been busy this past year, but I won't try to update.  It's tedious and probably boring for any readers.  The thing I wanted to talk about though was something that happened today that normally I wouldn't have done.

I type on the computer doing data-entry processing insurance claims at my own home for a living.  Even though dull and repetitive I don't like being interrupted during my work since I have to work so many hours in a day.  If I get interrupted then my work gets put off and some days I'm still working late after the kids are in bed.  That I consider my time to get other things done or relax.  NOT working.

So today, my 5-year-old son and his brothers were putting together paper airplanes and making Lego dragons.  Wesley thought of a cool idea to make a paper dragon.  Very creative!  However, he wanted ME to make it for him.  My first thought was, "No way, kiddo.  I have lots of work to do, have an OB appointment in a couple hours, and since it's also Grandma's birthday we're going to be gone this afternoon.  I have got to get my work in."  But after seeing how sweet he asked and realizing what truly is more important, I agreed.

I logged out of my work and spent the next few minutes looking up online how to make an origami dragon.  Origami should be easy right?  Right?  <crickets chirping in the background>

One website showed step-by-step how to make a neat one.  I sent Wesley to get some paper and I got to work.  I folded and unfolded that darn thing so many times I lost track of what I was doing and couldn't follow the instructions very well.  After about 10 minutes of that I gave up on that model.  But I was not deterred!  Thank goodness for YouTube!  Pages of videos on how to make an origami dragon!  SCORE!  There was a really awesome black one that looked really fierce, but the video was 30 minutes long.  I knew my patience wouldn't last that long.  But right below was a simpler looking 10 minute video.

Out ran Wesley to get more paper.  Boring white, but that's okay.  He didn't care.  So fold, fold, fold and bird fold, petal fold, etc and after 15 minutes (had to keep pausing because the guy went so fast) VOILA!
A finished dragon!


All modesty aside, it's pretty good for a first try at origami!

After it was done I thought about the significance of quitting work, something that I dreaded putting off, and hopefully giving my son a memory of my love for him.

HOWEVER!  This beautiful moment turned slightly sour when he burst out in tears because he had realized that the dragon, unlike their paper airplanes.....  could not fly!

Having beautiful hands is not always about what we can do with them.  It's about the time and effort we take for our family and friends.  My husband always says that we can't find more time or make more time, we must take it from the time that is already in our day.  I'm trying to remember on a daily basis what is important for my husband and my kids and my family since they are more vital to me than gardening, keeping a neat home, laundry, my job, my pastimes and so many other things.  Time is what they want, time is what they need.  I just need to remember it more often.  It's amazing what it does for the soul and relationships.



KUDOS:  This post pretty much describes it.  But I also took more time out to request and go on a tour of the Family Birthing Center at the local hospital to help the kids feel a little bit acquainted with the place when we need to use it in November.  Also took my Mom shopping for her birthday at an awesome rustic, woodsy home decor store 45 minutes away.  AND still went out to eat after that.  By the time we got home I still had half my hours to type yet.  However I got at it right away and was able to finish just as the kids were going to bed.  That's why I had time to be able to blog tonight.  What is your KUDOS today?

No comments:

Post a Comment